Your hot tub cover does a lot for you. It keeps your hot tub clean and hot and ready. But, what have you done for it lately?
When you think about your hot tub, do even really think about your cover? Probably not. Like most of us, we see the beautiful hot tub, sparkling water, and the night time lighting.
Yet, it’s important to really think about your cover because it’s what keeps the warm water in, makes your hot tub more energy efficient, saving you money, and keeps your hot tub clean.
In this article, we look at what you need to know about a hot tub cover so it keeps working for you.
Your Hot Tub Cover Lowers Your Electric Bill
Even when you’re not using the tub, the water is kept in motion. Caldera Spas designs their hot tubs for energy efficiency at all times.
Today’s modern hot tub heater and motor help you keep your hot tub temperature at the right level to save you energy while also making it easy for you to use at any time. Because of this, your hot tub cover is critical to lowering your electric bill.
Why? It keeps the heat in your spa. Even in the coldest of weather, your cover helps keep your spa at your desired temperature for regular use. You don’t have to turn the temp down. In fact, it’s more energy efficient to keep your spa at the same temperature. This is because it costs more to heat water after it’s cooled down.
Your Hot Tub Cover Lowers Your Water Bill
When you heat water, some of it turns to steam and escapes into the atmosphere. So, if you leave your hot tub uncovered for long periods of time, then much of your water turns into steam and leaves your spa.
When you keep your hot tub covered with a quality hot tub over when it’s not in use, the steam condenses back into the water. This happens underneath your hot tub cover, and the steam falls back into your hot tub.
This is just another reason you want to keep your hot tub covered when not in use. It keeps you from having to refill your spa, so you save money on water.
Hot Tub Cover Maintenance is Key
Caldera® Spas covers are made with a heavy duty, marine-grade vinyl.
- When dirt accumulates, hose it off or wipe it with a damp cloth to keep it looking new.
- Every four to six months use a cover cleaner to clean, shine, and protect your spa cover. This forms a protective shield on your vinyl spa cover which helps resist fading, stains, and dirt.
- If you notice the exterior of your cover developing a musty smell, discoloration or mold spots, this may be a sign of improper water chemistry. Contact us as there is likely a simple solution.
- Gently remove leaves, snow, or ice that has accumulated on your spa cover. To avoid strain and eventual breaking of the foam core.
How Do I Know if I Need a New Cover?
Inspect your hot tub cover occasionally to look for signs it’s not working properly.
- Does it look like it’s in contact with the edge of the hot tub surface all the way around?
- Are there any tears in the outer cover?
- When you try to open and close your hot tub cover does it seems heavier than normal?
- Are there any signs of mold or unusual stains on your hot tub cover?
- Does your spa cover have a musty smell?
You may need a new cover if you notice any of the following conditions:
- The vinyl cover is torn, cracked or brittle. This can affect the safety, heat retention and beauty of your cover.
- The cover is not forming a tight seal against the top edge of the hot tub. Can cause heat loss and a reduction of your spa’s energy efficiency.
- Straps and locks are not functioning. If they are not in good condition, it may affect the security of your hot tub.
- The cover has become heavy, is sagging or has puddles forming on top. Could indicate that damage to the foam core has occurred.
How Long Does a Hot Tub Cover Last?
It’s difficult to say how long your cover will last.
This depends on the unique conditions that any cover faces.
- Cleaning and treating your spa cover, maintaining proper water chemistry, and gently removing leaves, snow, and ice helps your cover last longer.
- While hot tub covers are designed to withstand the forces of nature, if you live in a very severe climate where you experience heavy snowfall or extreme sun (such as desert climates), it is beneficial to keep your hot tub under some type of structure. This might be a gazebo or a covered patio.
- Keep the elements off of your hot tub cover gives it a longer life.
- Be sure no one ever uses your hot tub as a table. Hot tub covers are not engineered to support weight from above.
Do I Need a Cover Lifter?
There are many reasons why a spa cover lifter is an essential accessory for your hot tub.
- First and foremost, a cover lifter makes it easy for one person to fold the cover back and out of the way. That’s why a hot tub cover lifter really is the key to using and enjoying your hot tub experience on a nightly basis.
- With a spa cover lifter, you can be in your spa in seconds, enjoying all the benefits of a daily, 20-minute soak.
Do we think a cover lifter is necessary? Yes, we do!
Stop by so we can help you determine which one is right for your spa model.
As your Caldera Spas dealer, we are here to help you maintain your hot tub and keep it in good working order. From hot tub covers and cover lifters to hot tub chemicals and service, you can count on us!
If you have questions or need a new cover, contact us today!