Retail Associate – Weekday Help Needed
This position is available in Crystal Lake, Palatine, and St. Charles.
Arvidson Pools & Spas is a locally owned, family run business and has been part of the community for three generations. The company was founded in 1958 as a construction company in McHenry, Illinois by Bengt Arvidson who immigrated from Gammelstad, Sweden. In the 1980’s, the company began its expansion and is currently a three-store enterprise with locations in Crystal Lake, Palatine, and St. Charles.
Our retail stores offer the following products and services:
- Caldera Spas Hot Tubs
- Hydropool Swim Spas
- Doughboy & Radiant Above Ground Pools
- Finnleo Saunas
- BioGuard Pool and Spa Chemicals
- Pool & hot tub accessories, filters, and parts
- Outdoor living products including patio furniture, yard decor, candles, and locally sourced products.
Our company is guided by these four Customer Service principles:
- Keep it Simple.
- Do it Fast.
- Get it Right.
- Be Kind.
We expect our customers to leave our stores feeling happy. This means that we answered their questions, met (or exceeded) their needs, served them in an efficient, timely and friendly way, and made them feel like they were important, and we were appreciative of their business.
Retail associates are responsible for engaging the customer, determining their needs and projecting requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet customers as they enter the store and assist them with their specific needs. Provide solutions to customer water care needs through analysis of the water testing results. This may include seeking advice from other employees or managers.
- Gently guide each customer throughout the decision making process involved with the sale of store merchandise. This may include providing information, describing features, benefits and advantages, exploring objections, and reinforcing the customer’s decision to purchase.
- Answer calls to the retail store and direct the caller to the proper person when unable to properly respond to their needs/questions.
- Assist Customers with simple complaints/concerns; get a manager involved with problems as needed. Always strive to resolve these matters with care and kindness.
- Provide assistance in getting purchases that are large and bulky to customer’s cars. This may include assisting customers with heavy warehouse items.
- Be conscientious about company policies, activities, and procedures to provide a consistent and satisfying experience to every customer. Move with a sense of urgency while paying attention to the details. It always takes two associates to say “No.” Never tell a customer no without checking with a floor manager, assistant manager or store manager.
- Cooperate with others and work well as part of a retail team, for example actively participate in retail meetings, share ideas for improvement with management.
- Use the Five Foot Rule – greet and/or acknowledge all customers within five feet of you all the time.
- Always be polite and attentive to customers. Make eye contact and smile. Do not avoid customers. Avoid personal conversations with co-workers on the floor.
- Become knowledgeable about water testing through assigned training modules and practice to recommend needed products/solutions or other appropriate actions.
- Receive pool and spa water samples from customers. Perform all required testing, inquiring as to the nature of any water problems they may be having, and providing the results of these tests to the customer.
- Keep the store clean, neat, and safe. Keep floors clean and clutter-free. Ensure passageways and doorways are not blocked and have no hazardous situations such as wet floors, etc. Daily cleaning of all retail spaces and bathrooms.
- Restock shelves with product, work with other employees to maintain a fresh and pleasing appearance to the store. Maintain and update spaces as assigned to provide a pleasing retail atmosphere.
- Conduct all transactions at the POS registers and successfully handles sales, returns, and exchanges.
- Promote the Arvidson Rewards program to all customers, offer to enroll customers, enter their email into the Evosus system before you ring up their purchases, advise them of their current points balance and when they are eligible to earn a reward.
- Maintain awareness of all promotions and advertisements so you can tell customers about special sales.
- Assist customers with sales orders, deposits, and other computerized transactions.
- Watch for shoplifters and take action, in line with company policy, that will discourage shoplifting. Excellent customer service and interaction prevents shoplifting.
- Perform opening and/or closing procedures of the store (final inspection, lights out, doors closed and locked, register balanced, alarm activated) as assigned.
- Attend conventions, seminars, and other educational or industry-related events as requested.
- Able to communicate professionally with customers and team members
- Skilled at providing prompt, friendly and attentive customer service
- Strong organizational skills with a passion for details
- Willing to learn all areas of the store and help train others
- Proven track record of being a team player
- Knowledge and experience of various departments is strongly desired.
- A continuous pattern of regular and prompt attendance is required.
- Availability must be flexible including evenings, weekends and holidays.
The minimum physical requirements for this position include:
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time, walk, reach, and bend to perform job duties
- Move and handle merchandise up to 50 pounds, and fixtures throughout the store, which entails lifting and perform all functions as set forth.
Job responsibilities may change based on the news of the business.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the associate occasionally works near moving mechanical parts. The associate may work near outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
I acknowledge that I have reviewed the job description outlined above and agree that it identifies the responsibilities that I have agreed to perform. I also understand that additional duties may be assigned by my manager or supervisor.
I have read and acknowledge the duties that are outlined in this document and hereby agree to the tasks and expectations as provided.